CAD management does not mean the same to everyone, and the role it plays is different from company to company. The same can be said about the CAD Manager title. I personally, never held the title but performed many CAD management related tasks over the years. Where I worked, the CAD Manager was the individual that managed the CAD drafters, but never actually customized, programmed, or installed software. IT performed the installs and the senior drafters in each CAD department kind of did their own thing when it came to CAD standards.
Sound a bit familiar maybe? Maybe it doesn't.
After many years, two things always stood out around CAD management for me:
- What is CAD management and what things do I need to consider?
- How do I make the transition from my current release to the latest release as smooth as possible?
To help answer both questions, a set of documentation was created. This documentation was added to the AutoCAD 2014 release and it covers:
- Basics of CAD management
- Customization and program compatibility
- What is new or changed in the product
- Where to find information on installing the product
- Much more...
The CAD Management documentation can be accessed from the AutoCAD 2014 help landing page.
If you have any comments on or additions you would like to see added to the CAD Management documentation, please post a comment on this posting. Comments are not posted automatically on this blog.