Writing a book is never an easy task and nor is trying to coordinate multiple books that will eventually be released as a single book. Like any great project, you go in with one vision and often that changes over time as the project evolves.
Last year, I started working on a project at that time which was loosley named and had a vision to cover AutoCAD customization, AutoLISP, and VBA. All of the subjects are near and dear to me of course as well. It is such a great feeling when you can get AutoCAD to do something for you, instead of AutoCAD making you do something for it.
There are several main differences with these books that sets them apart from others that have been published before:
- Windows and Mac OS are covered.
- AutoCAD 2006 and later releases are covered, and in most cases the books cover releases all the way back to AutoCAD 2000. When there isn't something available in a specific release, it is called out in the book.
- Latest releases of the AutoCAD program; AutoCAD 2015 on Windows and AutoCAD 2014 on Mac OS.
I wanted the books to be as complete as possible for an AutoCAD veteran, but yet reader friendly for those new to the world of AutoCAD customization and programming.
Earlier this year, the first book of the series was published under the name "AutoCAD Platform Customization: User Interface and Beyond" and it can be purchased as an eBook through the following vendors:
The second book in the series is also now available, "AutoCAD Platform Customization: AutoLISP" and it can be purchased as an eBook through the following vendors:
If you wanted to learn how to leverage the AutoLISP programming language to create custom programs for AutoCAD-based programs (except AutoCAD LT) this book will get you started and then some.
Here is the published description of the "AutoCAD Platform Customization: AutoLISP" book:
Streamline and customize the AutoCAD platform using AutoLISP
AutoCAD Platform Customization: AutoLISP teaches you how to customize and personalize AutoCAD, Civil 3D, Plant 3D, and other programs built on Autodesk’s industry-leading AutoCAD platform. Written by the foremost authority on AutoCAD customization, this comprehensive learning resource features detailed discussions backed by real-world examples and tutorials designed to help you harness the full potential of AutoLISP. Downloadable datasets and examples are included to ensure a functional understanding of the presented concepts.
- Learn the basics of AutoLISP, and how to author and load LSP files
- Calculate and work with values
- Create and modify graphical and nongraphical objects
- Make choices and repeat expressions
- Work with the drawing environment
- Access directories and external files
- Use the Visual LISP® editor
- Work with ActiveX/COM libraries
- Create dialog boxes
Let me know what you think if you have purchased one of these books as I would like to get your feedback.